What is a Search Engine?
People are now becoming more and more dependent on search engines to get information for their daily queries. A search engine is a web-based tool or website by which users can search content on the internet. For this, users enter the desired search term or keywords into the search field. The search engine then looks through its index for relevant websites and displays them in the form of a list.
Check out the top search engines and explore your SEO activity,
The best search engine in the world: Google. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 92.41%. When we talk about search engines and SEO. We instantly think of Google. It’s a globally accepted search engine and an industry giant.
Google was started in the year 1996 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin & today has achieved great heights. and now more than a search engine optimization. It has become an undisputed leader in the digital world.
Google is well known for its reliability, sources, quick response to queries with massive information. It offers various other features like Gmail, maps, docs, spell check, dictionary definitions, telephone numbers, unpaid editorial etc. The Google toolbar is more popular because of its easy access feature. Google’s AdWords is more famous among marketers.
Google is continuously updating its search engine algorithm to serve the web user with the best search engine results for their query.
What makes Google the topmost search engine?
- Seamless syncing of data
- Best search results
- Secret Google Algorithm
- Investment in technology and R&D
- Voltron of AdWords and AdSense
- Best digital brand
- Best Teamwork
Bing is a search engine by Microsoft and is second in terms of market share after Google. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 2.46%. It was launched in 2009, and its origin traces back to earlier search engines offered by Microsoft, such as MSN Search and Live Search.
This search engine has an attractive ever-changing home page that consists of photos of animals, places, and others in its background. Being the most popular search engine it offers a lot of features to its users like interface updating, sports scores, local information, conversions, calculations, flight tracking, shopping, spell check and others.
Bing also offers easy integration with Facebook, Apple, and other Windows-based devices. It contains other Ad on features like Bing Ads, Bing events and more along with its standalone mobile applications. Bing is multilingual and its instant answering feature is an exceptional thing to make it more popular than the other search engines. Bing offers a webmaster tool, which comes in handy if you want to submit a website to search engines for indexing.
What makes Bing a better alternative search engine?
- It provides better video searches, as you get larger thumbnails
- If you hover over the video, you can preview the video with sound.
- Reward points for users who use the search engine. You can redeem the points you’ve earned to win exciting prizes like Microsoft Xbox One X or a Surface Laptop.
Yahoo is another alternative search engine you can use and is third in terms of market share, behind Google and Bing. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 1.48%. Created by David Filo and Jerry Yang in 1994, Yahoo was one of the most popular search engines in the 90s and early 2000s. Sadly, the company has gone downhill over the years. Bing now powers it, and some may even see it as an outdated search engine. But all is not lost, as Yahoo still has some features up its sleeve.
What makes Yahoo a better alternative search engine?
- If you’re using other Yahoo services like finance, sports, email, and Yahoo Answers, then it provides better search results.
Baidu is China’s largest search engine, capturing over 75% of China’s search market. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 1.30%. The search engine looks similar to Google (besides being in Mandarin), with a white background, blue links, and green URLs. Like Google, Baidu aims to incorporate more rich features in the SERPs.
If you have an interest in appealing to the Asian market, Baidu is a good option to consider. However, the search engine censors certain images and blocks pro-democracy websites, so if you’re comparing search results, you’ll find a more comprehensive results list on Google.
What makes Baidu a better alternative search engine?
- Baidu has an advantage over Google that it works in China.
- You cannot use Google, Baidu is the best alternative.
- If you’re planning on attracting visitors from China to your website, then instead of optimizing your content for Google, you can focus on ranking on Baidu.
DuckDuckGo is perhaps one of the top private search engines. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 0.6%. It places high importance on securing the privacy of its searchers. Founded in 2008 by Gabriel Weinberg, DuckDuckGo brings you search results from over 400 different sources. It has its crawler and partners with Bing as well.
What makes DuckDuckGo a better alternative search engine?
- DuckDuckGo prides itself on being a secure search engine that doesn’t compromise on privacy.
- It doesn’t store any personal information, record user’s IP addresses, or user’s history to modify its search results.
- It avoids filter bubbles. A filter bubble is when users get personalized search results based on their previous browsing history.
So, if you’re looking for a search engine that’s more secure than Google, then DuckDuckGo is a great option
Yandex is the top-ranked search engine in Russia. It has 50.5 million visitors daily. Yandex is a Russian based search engine company that was started in the year 1997. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 0.55%. It is considered one of the popular search engines in the world for the information it offers. Yandex search engine also used in Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus, and Turkey.
Though it is a Russian based search engine it also has an English localized version. Yandex offers a lot of services other than just browsing. It includes Mail, Maps, Metrica, Mobile apps, Yandex disk, Translate and more. The Metrica of Yandex is like Google Analytics. All these features make it the most popular search engine. In Russia, Yandex is the default search engine for web users who use Mozilla Firefox.
What makes Yandex a better alternative search engine?
- It commands almost 56% of the market share in Russia, making it the most popular search engine in the region.
- This provides benefits for anyone who is looking to business in these countries.
- Better for attracting and converting visitors by search engine optimization
- And if you use
- Yandex cloud storage.
Ask.com is certainly a more moderate option compared to the likes of Bing and Yahoo!. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 0.35%. Nonetheless, Ask.com, formerly Ask Jeeves, is unique due to its question and answer format.
While most of ask.com sponsored search results are powered by Google, Ask has an original algorithm that favours expertise on a topic over-popularity. Additionally, Ask.com provides some unique features, like “smart answers”, which use natural language to answer someone’s search query.
What makes Ask.com a better alternative search engine?
- Outsourced its question and answers management work. Questions are asked in various fields and answers are provided adequately to the users.
- In Ask.com you can get the answers to questions on various topics ranging from Art and Literature to Science and Business.
- Ask.com is based on crawler-based technology to provide results to its users. The results are derived from the Teoma algorithm which is based on the concept of subject-specific popularity.
Ecosia is a search engine that’s designed to help the environment and fight climate change. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 0.12. With every search that you perform, Ecosia plants trees around the world through its profits.It roughly donates about 80% of its profits for tree plantation, which means that it plants 1 tree for every 50 searches. Ecosia uses Bing to power its search engine but also uses its algorithm to enhance the searches.
What makes Ecosia a better alternative search engine?
In addition to minimizing the carbon footprint left behind by search engines,
- Ecosia offers privacy features that you won’t find in Google.
- It doesn’t create a permeant search profile of users and deletes data from its database after one week.
- Ecosia doesn’t sell data to third parties or advertisers.
- There are no external tracking tools in the search engine, and you can switch off tracking, Ecosia does that to improve its service
- Encrypted search, it keeps the user’s privacy safe
AOL.com is also among the top search engines in the world. Worldwide Search Engine Market Share: 0.05. It was started in the year 1983 as Control Video Corporation. It was renamed AOL Inc in the year 2009. AOL has a web browser, a media player, and an instant messenger. This search engine offers results from Google and its other multimedia sources and partners to the users who look for information on the internet.
What makes AOL a better alternative search engine?
- Search results on Google and AOL will more or less be similar to each other.
- AOL search offers links to content available within AOL as well as the entire web.
- AOL duplicates the results shown on Google for a particular search query.
- It does not list the cached pages in the search results like Google do.
Here you know the most popular and top search engines in the world for SEO. Among these Google and Bing are the most dominating search engines used widely by most people. This list is not complete. We have just listed the top search engines that are also there in the web world.
Finally, it’s important to consider alternative traffic opportunities besides Google when creating an SEO strategy. By diversifying your sources, you’re more likely to capture the first page on SERPs, and you’re in a better position to find a truly ideal target audience.
We hope you liked our article. For more details, contact us : Spexia Best SEO Agency in Pune where we use the best combination of SEO tactics to provide you real results. Don’t forget to follow us on Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook for more helpful tips and tricks.